Cedar Class

Cedar class learning for 17 JUN 2020

English: LO: to consider how to write in a formal manner.

Yesterday you wrote a postcard to a friend or family member. You also considered the type of language you use when writing to somebody who you know very well or are related to. Today, I would like you to write a list of features which would appear in a postcard you were writing to someone you don’t know as well, or need to be more formal around. For example: if you were writing a postcard to me, any of the other teachers at school, the queen, or if you were entering a competition with your postcard.

Consider:
How would you start the postcard?

How would you end the postcard?

What kind of information might you not include in a postcard which is more formal? What might you not want to include?

Make a list which you can use for tomorrow’s activity!

Maths: LO: to subtract fractions.

Yesterday you practised adding fractions with the same denominator. Today, I would like you to work on subtracting fractions with the same denominator. If you are finding this tricky, you can use physical objects just like yesterday to help you.

For example: if I was solving the question 6/7 – 2/7 = ?, I could cut an object (or cake or chocolate bar!) into sevenths. I could then take 6 of these pieces and put them in front of me; this is 6/7 in front of me. I would then subtract 2/7 (2 of the pieces in front of me). I would then be left with 4 pieces, so 4/7.

Create some questions of your own for this activity.

If you are able to do this easily (or are a Y4), try these trickier questions:

1) 63/100 – 24/100 = ? (Column subtraction for the numerator will work best here).

2) 427/500 – 391/500 = ? (Same as above).

3) 512/64 – 448/64 = ? (Write this answer in two ways).